There are plenty of reasons to give your dog dental treats. Not only are dental chew treats a healthy and enjoyable treat for your pup, but they’re also a great way to remove stubborn plaque on your dog’s teeth. Plus, they give your dog something fun to do that doesn’t involve destroying your couch cushions or gnawing on your favorite pair of shoes—a major win in our book!
If you’re looking for the best dental treats for dogs, you’ve come to the right place. Whether your dog has some seriously stinky breath or you’re looking for a healthy way to reward them for good behavior, there’s a dental treat or dog chew out there for every good boy and girl. Keep scrolling as we break down our tail-wagging favorites below.
Just like humans, dogs can suffer from a variety of oral problems including plaque and tartar buildup, inflamed gums, tooth pain, and, in serious cases, tooth loss. In fact, periodontal disease (aka, gum disease) is one of the most common conditions that veterinarians treat, affecting more than 80 percent of dogs over age three.
The good news is that, with proper dental care, periodontal disease is almost entirely preventable. But if you’re a little lax about brushing your dog’s teeth on a daily basis, don’t stress—that’s where dental treats come in handy.
In addition to regular brushing and professional cleanings, giving your pup dental treats and long-lasting dog bones made from high-quality ingredients can make a big difference to their oral hygiene. Dog bones are particularly beneficial for healthy gums and teeth because they help stimulate saliva enzymes and scrape plaque off your dog’s teeth.
Certain dental treats for dogs are also specifically formulated to reduce stinky dog breath. Some do this by aiding in digestion, while others simply mask the smell of bad breath. If your dog has stinky breath, be sure to check with your veterinarian first to rule out an underlying medical condition.
Now that you know the importance of keeping your pup’s gums and teeth healthy, let’s take a look at some of the best dental treats for dogs. (Warning: get ready for a major drool fest!).
1. Bully Sticks –If you have a champion chewer in your home, you can’t go wrong with bully sticks. Sometimes called beef pizzles or steer sticks, these mouthwatering chews are high in protein, easy to digest and do a fantastic job scraping plaque off your dog’s teeth. Plus, they’re beloved by dogs everywhere! Your pup will go bananas the second you pull out this tasty dog chew treat.
2. Collagen Sticks –For an added health benefit, try PawLove Collagen Sticks! Not only do these hard chews support your pup’s dental health, but they’re loaded with healthy, naturally-occurring collagen. Collagen is a key protein found throughout your dog’s body and helps to support healthy skin, nails, coat, joints, and digestion. As an added bonus, our Collagen Sticks chew similarly to a bully stick, without the stink!
3. Mint and Parsley Dog Treats – Let’s face it, dogs aren’t exactly known for their fresh-smelling breath. If you want better-smelling kisses from your four-legged friend, look for dog dental treats with bacteria-busting herbs, such as parsley and peppermint. Parsley is particularly beneficial for your pup’s teeth and gums due to its powerful anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Can’t find the perfect mint and parsley dog treats for your pup? Try making your own with this homemade dog biscuit recipe from Pook’s Pantry.
4. Beef Gullies – All dogs enjoy the act of chewing—some simply have less aggressive chewing styles than others. If your dog is a light chewer with a small appetite, focus on finding a softer option that won’t wear down their enamel, such as our PawLove Beef Gullet Sticks. Made from a single ingredient, beef gullet, these gentle chew sticks are rich in joint-supporting nutrients like glucosamine and chondroitin. While they’re best suited for young pups and older dogs, these flavorful dog chew treats are sure to make any tail wag!
5. Marrow Bones – Got a champion chewer in your home? In that case, you need a long-lasting dog chew that will keep them interested long enough to fully scrape the plaque of their teeth. For aggressive chewers, we recommend our PawLove Marrow Bone. These savory bones come with the cartilage and connective tissue still attached, providing an excellent source of nutrients for your pup. After your dog devours the meaty inside, you can further extend the lifespan of our Marrow Bone by filling the inside with dog-safe peanut butter.
If you’re looking for the best dental treats for dogs, try some high-quality dog-chew treats from PawLove. From our Beef Gullies to our Collagen Sticks, our dog chews are designed to give your pup’s teeth and gums a good scrubbing. Our products made from the yummiest natural ingredients, so you can give your furry friend treats and chews that you feel good about!